14 March 2007

More on the Gospel of John

More on the "Gospel of John" film. What struck me was that Jesus was claiming over and over again who he was.

Who is this man, the one they call Jesus? You could see the confusion on the faces of the high priests. Who is this man? Is he the Messiah that was coming as promised? He does not act like the Messiah but he says that God is his father and sent him! The signs were there but their eyes remained blind.

Who is he? Even today this question is asked and as then the answer still alludes many. Some claim that he was a great teacher, others a prophet and some dismiss him as a liar or even a madman. He claimed to be the " I Am", God, Creator of heaven and earth.

"I am he, the one who is speaking to you." John 4:26 speaking to the Samaritan woman about the messiah.

"I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never be hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty." John 6:35 after feeding the people

"I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness but will have the light of life." John 8:12 after healing the blind man

"You are from below, I am from above; you are of this world, I am not of this world. I told you that you would die in your sins, for you will die in your sins unless you believe that I am he." John 8:23-24

"When you have lifted up the Son of Man, then you will realize that I am he, and that I do nothing on my own, but I speak these things as the Father instructed me." John 8:28

"Very truly, I tell you, before Abraham was, I am." John 8:58

"As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world." John 9:5

"I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep." John 10:11

"The Father and I are one." John 10:30

"Father is in me and I am in the Father." John 10:38

Who do you say he is?

C.S. Lewis who was once an agnostic, states in his book Mere Christianity "A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic--on the level with a man who says he is a poached egg--or he would be the devil of hell. You must take your choice. Either this was, and is, the Son of God, or else a madman or something worse. You can shut him up for a fool or you can fall at his feet and call him Lord and God. But let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about his being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us."

It is a choice we all have to make. Do we accept Jesus or reject him?

Most of us know Jesus in a personal way as the Son of God, the Messiah, Savior and Lord but there are many who still reject him and know him not. They are the lost. Jesus explained his purpose in Luke 19:10 " for the Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost."

The question remains now that we know who he is, what are you going to do about it?

No comments: