30 April 2007

Consistently Consistent

Standing at the open grave and listening to the close friends and family speak of Jimmy Jardine, the times I had with him flash before my eyes as the words "consistently consistent" washed over me. Coming from a broken and hard family it was refreshing to have had a father-in-law like him. He was consistent in all his ways and as a father he would even go out his way for his children. Don't get me wrong, he was not perfect but he was consistent. I would get him into these doctrinal discussions that made Carol cringe in fear of what would happen to me. He was the father I never had. It was a whole family. And unchanging as he was, he was all that God had made him to be. Beryl from cell mentioned a that there were some God fearing people who grew up not understanding the full potential of the power of the Holy Spirit. They are also filled with the Spirit of God but to them a measure that they would understand. Jimmy was one of those God fearing men and in his consistent nature reminded me of the certainty of God's promises to us. Our God has a just and unchanging nature and in God's consistency we can stand firm and secure.

No comments: