11 October 2007

This is not right

Then they said to each other, "We're not doing right. This is a day of good news and we are keeping it to ourselves."
2 Kings 7:9

This is not right.

We have been given a gift of eternal life. What are we doing with it? Are we basking in Christianity? Are we keeping it to ourselves?

These are the questions Andy Stanley asked us in the last of his "Go Fish" series. He went on to tell us about the story found in 2 Kings 7:3-16 It is about four men with leprosy during a siege of the city of Samaria by the Arameans. These men who were between a rock and a hard place decided to take their chances with the Arameans but found the Aramean camp deserted. After gorging themselves on the abundant spoils, it eventually dawned on them the suffering of those left behind. They were not doing right and had to go back and tell the others the good news.

Andy related this story to us Christians. Like the four men, God has picked us up and dusted us off and brought us into the banquet of His blessings. Do we stay here and enjoy ourselves or as in the four men are we going to realise that we're not doing right and go back to fetch the others.
Look back from whence you've come. You were once in that darkness and cried out to God. He knew your voice and called you by name. He has brought you into the light and given you life. Now reach back into that darkness and grab a hand and pull it into the light.

Let's not keep the good news to ourselves. Let's go back and become fishers of men.

A song "Fishers of Men" by Rhonda Vincent

Rise and follow me
I'll make you worthy
Rise and follow me
I'll make you fishers of men.

Rise and follow me
I'll make you worthy
Rise and follow me
I'll make you fishers of men.

Peter, John, and James
Could never be the same
After they heard him say
I'll make you fishers of men.

He said, Rise and follow me
I'll make you worthy
Rise and follow me
I'll make you fishers of men.
He said, Rise and follow me
I'll make you worthy
Rise and follow me
I'll make you fishers of men.

Cast your nets aside
and join the battle tide
He will be your guide
To make you fishers of men.

He said, Rise and follow me
I'll make you worthy
Rise and follow me
I'll make you fishers of men.
He said, Rise and follow me
I'll make you worthy
Rise and follow me
I'll make you fishers of men.

Jesus bore the cross
To gather in the lost
Oh what a might cost
To set us free from sin.

He said, Rise and follow me
I'll make you worthy
Rise and follow me
I'll make you fishers of men.
He said, Rise and follow me
I'll make you worthy
Rise and follow me
I'll make you fishers of men.

Blessed to be a blessing

No comments: