04 February 2009

The One and Only Box

How often we heard that we must not put God in a box. We as humans find it easy to put things into compartments because it helps us understand them. So when God of the universe becomes our personal God don't we also try to put Him into a box? Andy Stanley in the second series of the Sinai Code says that God is bigger than the box we try to put Him in. God wants to be in front and centre of our lives yet we try to downsize or marginalise Him by putting Him in box, well trying to that is.

I have a teeny small problem with this but maybe it is just my lack of vision and understanding. Okay I would tend to say that trying to put God into a box is part true by my understanding. For me, by saying that God cannot fit in a box is saying that God has no limitations. Before you shoot me down, let me explain. God is limited by His own nature. For example He cannot lie nor sin therefore He has limits. Elementary dear Watson. I do not have the answer to this myself but I have two ideas that I could leave with you.

God can be in all the boxes that we make. This effectively means that God cannot be contained in boxes but is present in all the boxes. Omnipresent.

The other idea is that we are trying to put God into a box of our own limited design. I think that God has His own box and it is the biggest and greatest box there is. So big that our limited minds cannot even comprehend. In our own minds God cannot be defined.

So when God comes along and says to you that I want to be your one and only God. What do you do? Do you put God in a box of your own understanding and put him among the other gods of your life? Are we guilty of shrinking God down into an idol?

God does not want to be shut out of any part of your life that includes activities and relationships; past, present and future.

If you do manage to put God into a box of your own understanding then your god is too small.

No comments: