27 September 2007

Be the hand

Well, it is all over, that is the Gran Affair. Many of you have asked about my gran.
Thank you for all your kind words.

My gran died the Tuesday morning just after I left Durban and was laid to rest on Friday. Her children started fighting amongst themselves even before she was dead. It got to such an extent that the one brother made funeral arrangements and refused to let his siblings know where the funeral was to be held. My mom found out and had to gatecrash her own mom's funeral. They even started disowning each other. I consoled my uncle Ronnie that if the rumours that started were true, Gran either did it out of love or survival and that he should not hold that against her.

After speaking with Carol and spending time in prayer, I decided that it was best that I stay away from the funeral. Being the eldest grandchild I phoned all the grandchildren that I could and informed them that I would not go and encouraged them to stay away as well. About the "curse", hints of it started to surface even before I left and I feel that this might have led to the family feud that erupted. Although I am intrigued about the "curse", I am not sure I want to know. To put my soul at rest, God gave me Ezekiel 18 to read…

"The person who sins will die. The son will not bear the punishment for the father's iniquity, nor will the father bear the punishment for the son's iniquity; the righteousness of the righteous will be upon himself, and the wickedness of the wicked will be upon himself."
Ezekiel 18:20

On Friday, the day of the funeral, I felt so sad and my family was heavy on my heart. I cried out to God to please forgive them.



Okay with that off my chest, lets get into the 4th series of "Go Fish" by Andy Stanley, which Denise kindly led. "Fishing Buddies", evangelism was never meant to be a solo affair. Fishing alone makes it hard to talk about "J…J…Jesus". Andy went on to say that it is a team effort with the church (that is a group of believers) partnering with us to fish for men. We need to invest and invite. How many times have we heard that when we invite an unbelieving person into a group of believers just living the life, it works?

We can't do it alone, "Just come! I don't have all the answers. Just come and see." And where two or three come together in Jesus' name, the irresistible saviour shows up.
Yes Jesus shows up, what more can we do.

Be the hand that reaches into the dark and pull another hand into the light.

No comments: