09 March 2008

When Life Hurts Most

These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world. John 16:33 NIV

We all know that life is not easy and at times it really hurts. In the past few posts I covered the glory of God and how everything is for His glory but there are times when the bottom falls out and we turn to God and say "Where's the glory in my pain" or "God you said you'd have my best interests at heart. Where are you now?" Does that ring true to anyone? It does for me. We all are going to come to a place where life hurts most.





When my son, Matthew was about 10 months old, his temperature spiked and went into a spasm. He stopped breathing for what seemed to me eternity. Carol later told me it was only a short period but I had panicked and threw him into Carol's arms while I rushed out to get the car. We rushed him to the nearest hospital and I stopped at the emergency entrance to let Carol off with Matthew then went to look for parking. The whole time I was pleading to God not to take him away for He had only given him to us. When I walked into the emergency room and saw the paramedics testing Matthews's reflexes, I freaked out and fled. I did not want to see my son a "vegetable". I found myself at my father-in-law's home. He was a strong Christian, and I demanded from him to make God fix Matthew. I was angry with God. How can He do this to us? When my father-in-law had calmed me down, I returned to the hospital to find my son all right and he stayed the night under observation.

It took me a while to work through all my issues with God over this. Louie Giglio in his first part of his "Hope: When Life Hurts Most" DVD which is called "The Anchor of Hope" taught us that Christianity can not be reduced to a simple answer. We can not put God into a box. We don't see the bigger picture. Although God does not offer easy solutions, He does offer Himself and the cross. Focusing on the cross is the anchor of hope. If only I had watched this DVD then. The cross allows us to leverage our pain for His glory. Matthew was in God's hands and still is.

We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure. It enters the inner sanctuary behind the curtain, where Jesus, who went before us, has entered on our behalf. Hebrews 6:19-20 NIV

Click here to listen to "The Anchor of Hope" online

The cross is proof that God doesn't always change the circumstances that we find ourselves and that He is in control. He is working for His glory.

Let Go and Let God

No comments: