01 March 2008

Soli Deo Gloria

Glory to God alone

Have you ever come on anything quite like this extravagant generosity of God, this deep, deep wisdom? It's way over our heads. We'll never figure it out.

Is there anyone around who can explain God?
Anyone smart enough to tell him what to do?
Anyone who has done him such a huge favour
that God has to ask his advice?

Everything comes from him;
Everything happens through him;
Everything ends up in him.
Always glory! Always praise!
Yes. Yes. Yes.
Romans 11:33-36 The Message

Andy Stanley and Louie Giglio wrapped up the "Canvas" with "The Way of Glory". In the DVD series they showed us that there is a glorious middle. Yes I know that before man sinned, there was the glorious beginning and that we look forward to glorious eternity with Christ. But a glorious middle? The answer is yes. In the middle of the glorious middle is the cross, God's plan to make it all right again. We give I AM the glory for the cross. Even in the sad times. Easier said than done.

Here is a poem written by Michael Christian who like us was inspired by the Canvas.

I AM

A voice from a bush, which burned with no ash.
God spoke to Moses as he knelt in the grass.
He gave instructions on setting Israel free.
Reluctantly Moses said, "No one will believe me!"
"What will I say when they ask who sent me?"
"What name will I give? How will I make them see?"
Gods answer was timeless, until this day still stands.
He said, "I am what I am…you were sent by I AM!"
Gods name gave hope that would not be erased.
And still offers solutions to each problem we face:

I haven't seen him for weeks, I don’t know where he stays.
He's going to die if he won't change his ways!
He lies, he cheats, he begs on his knees.
I am his mother, and he's even stolen from me!
He's not the boy I raised, he only hangs around thugs.
Who is going to help me get my baby off of these drugs?
…I AM

The factory shut down, there is no job to be had.
I can't remember when the economy has looked so bad.
I've juggled bills for too long, not making ends meet.
Something has to happen soon or we'll be out on the street!
I was my family's provider, by the sweat of my brow!
Who is going to take care of my children now?
…I AM

I thought I was too smart to ever get caught.
But my crimes will be punished, my lesson taught.
If I had it to do over, I wouldn't need to pay this debt.
My children will learn from the example that's set!
My kids will be grown before I am set free!
Who's gonna make sure they don't turn out like me?
…I AM

My face looks better, the swelling has gone down.
I covered the black eye with these sunglasses I found.
He hits me when he's drunk, then feels bad when he's sober.
He treats me like a queen when his drunken rage is over.
I am his wife! I love him! I don't want to leave!
Who's going to show him what's important…alcohol, or me?
…I AM

He was in the first tower to be hit by a plane.
I watched it crumble on the news, I was screaming his name.
Our two beautiful sons still don't quite understand,
Why their daddy won't ever be coming home again.
We were in this together! Now our team's down to one!
Who's going to be a father to these two lonely sons?
…I AM

Moses learned something when God spoke to him his name.
All our lives would be made simpler, if we could just learn the same.
That God is all together, all we could ask for!
In comparison, by far, we will always fall short.
So God is "I AM", then I am not…
This is the important lesson that Moses got!
He learned his place in Gods relation to man…
I AM NOT, but I know "I AM"!

Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God!
How unsearchable his judgments, and his paths beyond tracing out!
Who has known the mind of the Lord?
Or who has been his counselor?
Who has ever given to God, that God should repay him?
For from him and through him and to him are all things.
To him be the glory forever!
Amen.
Romans 11:33-36 NIV

No comments: