28 February 2007

Take the shepherd's hand

"His name shall be called Immanuel, God with us ."
What does these words mean for us?
The great awesome God who created the universe promised us that he would never leave nor forsake us. Yes even me, of all people. God who loves us so much and wants a relationship with us, will do anything to bring us back to him even sending his Son to live with us, to die for us. Love that passes all understanding. It is a sobering thought that God is with me always, even when I mess up and I mess up often. But I know God is with me so that I don't have to face the messes of life alone. Jesus told us " I am with you always, even to the end of the earth." I know I am not but I know I AM.

Yes, God is with us, He walks with us, He holds our hand and He dries our tears.

God leads us. Jehovah Rohi, the shepherd who leads and cares for us. The Lord is my Shepherd. It is the most well know piece in the Bible. Most of us can quote it by heart. Sandy showed us that Psalm 23 is more than just a treasure trove of hope, encouragement, and peace. It is Jehovah Rohi. No other name of God carries the tenderness and intimacy of Jehovah Rohi. Love that passes all understanding. What joy it would be to just curl up on Jesus' lap and rest?

In light of Graeme Codrington's message last Sunday at BBC about "Fear in the New South Africa", have faith that your Shepherd is leading you into things that are pleasing and glorifying to Him! Let fear go and grab onto faith because He is Immanuel, God with you and Jehovah Rohi, your Shepherd!

I am finishing up with words from a song adapted from Psalm 23 by Larry Holder,

The Lord is my Shepherd; in Him I am free
His Word is my hope and my reason to be.
I will follow His leading and hold to His hand
By grace without measure I am able to stand.

In pastures of green He has led me each day
As cool waters flowing are found on the way.
By the bounty of heaven my soul is restored
To walk in the path of my Shepherd, my Lord.

In shadows of darkness at times I must trod
Yet safe in the strength of my Almighty God.
Of evil I'll fear not, nor darkness of night
His grace, ever present, reveals heaven's Light.

The Lord is my Shepherd; in Him I am free
His Word is my hope and my reason to be.
I will tell of His mercies, I'll sing it again
The Lord is my Shepherd, forever, amen.

No comments: