21 February 2007

This is Bulgaria

Can you picture a place where God does not exist? Close your eyes for a while and try imagine a place where its people don't even know the existence of God.

Not easy, huh?

Could there be hope in such a place? A future even? Would evil reign when God does not exist?

Bulgaria is such a place. Just out of Communism and into the hands of the mafia, corrupt politicians and the sterile Orthodox Church. Communism had pushed their no god agenda to such an extent that the people don't know of God and his mercy. They can't even doubt the existence of God because they don't even know.

Be a light in this dark world. Jesus said in John 12:35 that those who walk in darkness don't know where they are going. Does Bulgaria know where they going? I suppose they think they know. On one side you have the mafia and on the other side corrupt politicians. Poverty on one side and cheap labour for the EU on the other. The vacuum left by communism on one side and the Orthodox church on the other. Talk about a rock and a hard place. It reminded me of this photograph I once saw of graffiti on a wall in Sofia which said "I love my land but hate my country".

Before Maia and Ruth came last Tuesday to speak to us about Maia's work in Bulgaria, I had this preconceived idea that Bulgaria had this cold grey personality. But Maia painted us a picture that beauty was within. The DVD and slides showed bits of colour in a grey world. Now I see Bulgaria as a dark grey country with a few lights of individuals who stand for God. What has changed? Someone was quoted saying I said to the man "Give me a light that I may tread safely into the unknown" and he replied "Go out into the darkness and put your hand into the hand of God" Maia obeyed and walked hand in hand back into Bulgaria.

All it takes is a tiny flicker of light in total darkness and everyone abiding in that darkness will see that light. For God, who said, "Let light shine out of darkness," made His light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ." - 2Cor 4:6

Maia is daring to reach out her hand into the darkness and pull another hand into the light.

Andy left Maia with Isaiah 40
Do you not know?
Have you not heard?
The LORD is the everlasting God,
the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He will not grow tired or weary,
and his understanding no one can fathom.
He gives strength to the weary
and increases the power of the weak.
Even youths grow tired and weary,
and young men stumble and fall;
but those who hope in the LORD
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.
Isaiah 40:28-31

Yes, God has a plan for you and even for Bulgaria. He has not forgotten. It reminds me of this old chorus which I used to sing in my youth. Now as some of you might know I can't hold a tune but bare with me ...

And Jesus said

Come to the water and stand by my side
I know you are thirsty, you won't be denied.

For I heard every tear drop as in darkness you cried
And I strove to remind you that for those tears I died.

No comments: